Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Location: on the right after the big tree
|Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:53 pm Post subject: The world according to the FDA
|I found this on http://www.newstarget.com/021952.html There are a few more things that I would like to add to make a longer list but it's a good start...
The 26 beliefs that drive modern medicine and the FDA
1. All herbs are dangerous and might kill you.
2. Vitamins and dietary supplements are not only useless; they're so dangerous that they should be regulated or banned.
3. The only thing more dangerous than dietary supplements is allowing the public to have access to accurate information about dietary supplements. To maintain control, the public must be kept ignorant of the medicinal uses of all substances other than patented chemicals.
4. Most diseases are caused by pharmaceutical deficiencies and can only be treated with pharmaceutical supplementation.
5. Botanicals interfere with pharmaceuticals, not the other way around. There is no such thing as a pharmaceutical that interferes with an herb.
6. Scientific progress is measured by the degree to which man dominates nature.
7. Free speech should only be protected for drug companies, not nutritional supplement companies.
8. The 300+ synthetic chemicals now found in the blood of nearly everyone are completely harmless and have no negative health effects.
9. The FDA is incapable of making mistakes, and therefore, drug companies should be granted full immunity against consumer lawsuits surrounding the injuries and deaths caused by FDA-approved pharmaceuticals. It is impossible for an FDA-approved drug to cause the death of anyone, because the FDA is infallible.
10. There is no need to safety test chemicals used in cosmetics and personal care products because the skin doesn't absorb chemicals. Unless, of course, we're talking about transdermal drug delivery products like the anti-smoking patch, in which case the skin readily absorbs chemicals.
11. Nature cannot be trusted. All herbs must be "standardized" to be safe. And even then, they're still useless.
12. Phytochemicals only act in isolation. Scientists can understand the physiological action of plant chemicals by isolating them, synthesizing them, and testing them one by one. There is no such thing as "synergistic action" with phytochemicals.
13. The only use for plant chemicals is to serve as ideas from which drug companies can synthesize patented drugs. Phytochemicals (phytonutrients) have no inherent value and their use for preventing, treating or curing any disease should be outlawed and stripped from modern civilization's knowledge base.
14. Shamans, medicine women, herbalists, midwives and healers are all engaged in quackery based on superstition or voodoo.
15. There is no such thing as bioenergy, intuition, mind-body medicine, quantum physics or therapeutic touch. The entire universe operates only on the physical and chemical levels. There is nothing beyond those two levels yet to be discovered or explored.
16. We already know everything there is to know. No new discoveries are necessary, nor are any paradigm shifts in scientific medicine. It is important that we all reject any new ideas or beliefs that threaten our existing ideas or beliefs.
17. Drug corporations should be protected because they have the best interests of the general public in mind. The future health of the entire world depends on the research being conducted right now by drug companies.
18. Americans are lucky to pay the highest prices in the world for medication. Everyone else has to settle for "bargain" pricing, but Americans get the honor of knowing their dollars help fund the shareholder profits of the world's wealthiest corporations, all of which deserve unlimited financial riches because they are saving the world from disease.
19. Drugs from Canada are so dangerous that they cannot be allowed to be touched or swallowed by superior Americans. Canadian drugs might be suitable for exporting to third world nations, but not to America.
20. The best way to help consumers is to control them by limiting their options and minimizing their access to information that might confuse them.
21. Nutrition has no role in human health. Any talk about healing with nutrition is quackery.
22. The human body is incapable of healing itself. Health can only be enhanced through chemical or surgical intervention. Patients have no role in determine their own health outcome.
23. "Science" is whatever we say it is.
24. Anything that disagrees with our definition of science is "unscientific."
25. The "Scientific Method" is the process by which we decide what is science.
26. Conflicts of interest don't count if we all mean well.
Change happens when we become aware of what we are already doing.